Black: sophisticated classic.
Black is mysterious by evoking a sense of potential and possibility. Black represents a lack of colour, the primordial void, classic colour for clothing and apparel.
- “People can have the Model T in any colour – so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford.
- In England, taxi cabs are traditionally black.
- A black cat crossing one’s path is considered bad luck in many cultures, except in England, where spotting a black cat is considered good luck.
- Black is so widely regarded as sophisticated in fashion that the term “the new black” is often used to describe and give merit to a colour trend.
- Blackball: to vote against someone in a secret manner to prevent them from becoming a member of a club.
- “Without black, no colour has any depth. But if you mix black with everything, suddenly there’s shadow – no, not just shadow, but fullness. You’ve got to be willing to mix black into your palette if you want to create something that’s real.” Amy